Old Ipswich Town connection at Colchester United is increased with Steve McCall appointment
The old Ipswich Town connection at Colchester United has been strengthened by the appointment of Steve McCall as the U’s new chief scout.
Former Town defender McCall, who filled a similar post at Portman Road, has taken over from Brian Owen as the head of senior scouting at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.
He therefore forms an important part of Tony Humes’ back-room staff.
Ex-Town defender Humes was appointed the U’s new boss last Monday week, with Richard Hall (on the books of Ipswich as a youth teamer, and later a Town Academy coach) as his assistant.
John McGreal, another former Ipswich defender, was installed as the U’s new under-21 development coach last week, with Wayne Brown (also an ex-Town defender) in charge of the under-18s with U’s stalwart Karl Duguid.
You may also want to watch:
McCall, aged 53, left Portman Road earlier this summer after 13 years involvement behind the scenes at the Championship club.
U’s boss Humes said: “I’ve known Steve a long time, ever since I was 16. He’s obviously vastly experienced in the game.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 3 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 4 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 5 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 6 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 7 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 8 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 9 Pedestrian taken to hospital after collision with car
- 10 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-3 draw at Colchester