Old Loughtonians 5 Harleston Magpies 0
English Hockey League
HARLESTON travelled away to promotion chasing Old Loughtonians with hopes of being able to take advantage of Loughts recent poor run of results. Unfortunately this was not the case as Old Loughts ran out easy winners in the end.
The game started brightly with both sides sharing their own periods of possession in the opening exchanges. Soon though Old Loughts got into their stride forcing Harleston back as they passed the ball around well searching for any opportunity to break free.
Magpies were defending well however keeping Old Loughts just about at arm’s length. Midway through the half Lought’s pressure grew further as they started to win a one or two short corners, first of which Mark Wheelhouse saved expertly on the line after a well executed corner. It was from a corner when the first goal came as a drag flick managed to squirt passed Richard Harms in the Harleston goal.
You may also want to watch:
Old Loughts were encouraged by the goal and came again turning the screw on the away side even having one goal chalked off after thinking they’d made it two.
Harleston managed to regroup and even started threatening the home side’s goal with one or two short corners and good chances. Unfortunately they could not draw level and went in 1-0 down at half time.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 5 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 6 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 7 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 8 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 9 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
- 10 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
Harleston started the second half sloppy allowing the home side to pick up their momentum once again setting the tone for the rest of the game. Harleston soon through their own errors managed to find themselves 2 – 0 down as Old Loughts took full advantage. Old Loughts now with a cushion were a dangerous side as Harleston sooner or later had to start throwing men forward which would leave them exposed. Old Loughts soon extended their lead as their forward tapped in from close range making it 3 – 0. Harleston started to fight back but by this time it was too little to late playing straight into the hands of their hosts. Harleston managed to create a couple of chances but the rampant Loughts forwards made them pay at the other end as they ran in two more goals making the final score 5 – 0.
This was a bad day for Harleston as both Oxted and St Albans winning bringing them closer to Harleston thus drawing them into a relegation battle with only three games to play.