Old Newton equal 80 year SIL record
FOOTBALL: Old Newton have become the first club to win the first and second tiers of SIL football in successive years for 80 years.
Colin Macrow’s side won the First Division in 2008/09 and followed this up by winning the Senior Division championship last month.
The last team to achieve this feat was Stoke United who won Division Two in 1929/30 and went on to win Division One (then the top division) 12 months later.
“We’re pleased with our achievement, and the manager and players deserve their success,” said Newton chairman David Shave.
Waterside Works won Division One in 1949/50 and 1950/51 before winning the Premier Division title in 1951/52.
You may also want to watch:
But all three successes were in the top tier of the SIL predecessor the Ipswich and District League with the top division changing its title in 1951.
Newton’s win last season depended on Felixstowe United being deducted points for fielding an ineligible player.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 6 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
The village side were presented with the trophy after beating Achilles on the final day of the season, but their win was not assured until the management committee of the SIL ruled that they should not suffer any loss of points for fielding Lewis Broomfield despite the player being banned sine die when he joined the club last August.
“We knew nothing of Lewis’ ban and he only joined us for last season and did not play the previous campaign as stated in some reports,” said Shave.