‘Norwich will always be a much bigger club than Ipswich’ - Ex-Canary Oliveira takes another shot at Town
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Norwich City old boy Nelson Oliveira has taken another pop at Ipswich Town, claiming the Canaries ‘will always be a bigger club’.
Oliveira, who previously insisted Norwich were a ‘better club’, with ‘better players’ than Town ahead of a derby clash in October 2017, made the comments in an interview with Reading fan site The Tilehurst End.
He scored for the Royals at Portman Road while on loan with Reading in the Championship last season, and promptly celebrated in front of Town fans.
The Portugal international said: “I never had an easy relationship with Ipswich fans. One time playing for Norwich I said that we should win the derby because Norwich is a bigger club. Maybe I didn’t look at the stories of both clubs, as I know Ipswich is also a good club.
“But I still think Norwich is bigger.
You may also want to watch:
“I have love for the people of Norwich and for the fans.
“In my opinion, Norwich will always be a much bigger club than Ipswich. So when I scored that goal, my yellow and green heart came through.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 3 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 4 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 5 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 6 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 7 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 8 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 9 Hadleigh dad fights to reverse diabetes diagnosis
- 10 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
“I celebrated with a little bit more passion, and it helped us get an important win as well.”
Oliveira is now playing for AEK Athens.