On this day in Town history: Town score seven and knock Real Madrid out of the UEFA Cup
In our daily feature, we take a look at what happened on this day in Ipswich Town’s history...
We start today 10 years ago when the Blues beat Crystal Palace 3-0 at Portman Road as Mauricio Taricco, Mark Venus and Alex Mathie netted to make it six win out of their first 12 leagues games in the 1998-99 season.
In 2004, Dean Bowditch was among the scorers as Town won 2-1 at Coventry City live on TV as the home side scored a 87th minute own goal to give the Blues their seventh league win of the 2004-05 season.
It was on this day in 1979, Town beat Norwegian side Skied Oslo 7-0 at Portman Road in the UEFA Cup, while in 2002 the Blues won 1-0 in Yugoslavia, thanks to Marcus Bent scoring from the spot to beat FC Sartid and progress to the second round of the UEFA Cup.
John Wark scored twice on this day in 1992 as Ipswich beat Leeds United at Portman Road to remain unbeaten at home at the start of the 1992-93 season, while David Lowe was the only goalscorer as the Blues beat Barnsley 1-0 at Portman Road in 1987.
You may also want to watch:
And finally on this day in 1973, Town held Real Madrid to a goaless draw at the Bernabeu to knock the Spanish giants out of the UEFA Cup, while in 1970, Town drew 2-2 with West Brom at Portman Road.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash