On this day in Town history: Murphy scores hat-trick in Rotherham win
In our daily feature, we take a look at what happened on this day in Ipswich Town’s history – and today features Daryl Murphy scoring a hat-trick as Town won 5-2 at Rotherham....
We start today in 2015 when Daryl Murphy scored a hat-trick as the Blues beat Rotherham United 5-2 at the New York Stadium, while Town progressed to the semi-finals of the Texaco Cup, after beating Wolves 1-0 at Molineux.
In 1979, Kevin Beattie scored as Town drew 1-1 with Swiss side Grasshoopers Zurich at Portman Road in the UEFA Cup Third Round, but Town went out of UEFA Cup on away goals after a goalless draw in Switzerland a week prior.
It was on this day in 1987, David Lowe scored twice as the Blues beat Reading 2-1 at Portman Road to remain unbeaten at home in the 1987-88 season, while Town progressed to fourth round of the League Cup, after beating Newcastle 2-1 at St James Park.
And finally on this day in 2009, Jon Stead scored as Town drew 1-1 with Reading at Madejski Stadium, while 20-years ago today the Blues drew 2-2 with Huddersfield at Alfred McAlpine Stadium, with David Johnson scoring a late equaliser for Town.
You may also want to watch:
We also wish a very happy birthday to former Town forward Marcus Stewart who was born on this day in 1972, and scored 37 goals in 93 appearances between 2000 to 2002.
- 1 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 2 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 3 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 4 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
- 5 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 6 Major delays tail back on to A12 after crash
- 7 Missing 66-year-old woman found in field after search
- 8 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 9 'Anywhere I can help I will' - Peter Reid joins Town in consultancy role
- 10 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke