On this day in Town history: A win over Arsenal in the cup and progress in Europe
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
In our daily feature, we take a look at what happened on this day in Ipswich Town’s history – and there’s plenty of cup games included today, from a League Cup win over Arsenal to UEFA Cup success in Sweden.
We begin today in 2000 when the Blues beat Arsenal 2-1 at Highbury in the League Cup Third Round, thanks to goals from Jamie Clapham and James Scowcroft, while in 1988 the Blues beat Leyton Orient 2-0 at Portman Road in same round of the Cup.
Ten years ago today, Jon Stead scored twice as the Blues beat QPR 2-0 at Portman Road to remain unbeaten at home in six games in the league, while in 2014 Town won 2-0 at Blackpool, thanks to goals from Daryl Murphy and David McGoldrick.
In 2001, the Blues reached the third round of the UEFA Cup as they beat Swedish side Helsingbord IF 3-1 at the Olympiastadion, thanks to a brace from Marcus Stewart and a goal from Hermann Hreidarsson, while Town reached the third round of the Cup Winners Cup in 1978, after beating Austrian side SW Innsbruck over two legs.
It was on this day in 1986 that John Deehan scored twice as the Blues beat Huddersfield Town 3-0 at Portman Road, while Town were on TV in 2013 as they drew 1-1 with Barnsley at Portman Road as Aaron Cresswell was sent off on the final whistle.
You may also want to watch:
And finally, on this day in 1975, Trevor Whymark was among the scorers as the Blues beat Aston Villa 3-0 at Portman Road to remain unbeaten at home in eight games during the 1976-77 season, while Steve Sedgley and Geriant Willias scored as Town beat Leeds United 2-0 at Portman Road in 1996.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk