On this day - Ipswich Town win the FA Youth Cup in 2005
- Credit: Archant
On this day 11 years ago, Ipswich Town won the FA Youth Cup at Portman Road following a last-gasp 1-0 win over Southampton in the second leg at Portman Road.
Midfielder Ed Upson, then aged just 15, lashed home from outside the box with time running out in extra-time, which was enough to give the Blues the 3-2 aggregate victory over a Southampton side which included the likes of Theo Walcott, Leon Best, David McGoldrick and Gareth Bale during the two legs.
Upson, who hails from Bury St Edmunds and now plays for Millwall, said: “I saw the ball coming back to me so I just went for power.
“I cannot believe it, I’m so pleased. I haven’t experienced anything like that in my life.”
Upson was only selected for the bench due to regular midfielder Owen Garvan being ruled out with a virus, but received plenty of praise from Bryan Klug.
“Edward is a boy in our under-15s team and has been doing really well,” said Klug.
“At 15, to play in front of 14,000 people and Sky Television, it could have gone horribly wrong.
- 1 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 2 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 3 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 4 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 5 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 6 'One or two we're speaking to' - McKenna on transfer plans
- 7 McKenna on offers for Harper and El Mizouni and Fraser's Town future
- 8 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 9 Lorry carrying mobile unit pulled over on A14 for being too wide
- 10 Town could lose its Post Office branch in triple closure shock
“But we knew he could score goals and he stroked the ball around like a quality player.”
Shane Supple, Chris Casement, Aiden Collins, Liam Trotter, Sammy Moore, Danny Haynes and Darryl Knights all went on to play for the Ipswich first team, while Liam Craig has played more than 300 times in Scotland for St Johnstone and Hibs.
Ipswich Town (4-5-1): Supple, Krause, Collins, Casement, Synnott; Craig, Lordan (Hammond 82), Trotter (Upson 105), Moore, Haynes (Sheringham 71); Knights.
Subs not used: Reynolds, Ainsley
Southampton (4-4-2): McNeil, Critchell, Rudd, Cranie, Richards; Dyer, Sparv, (Lallana 106), James, Walcott; Best, McGoldrick (Condesso 86).
Subs not used: Wallis-Tayler, Jones, Dutton-Black.
Referee: Mr Andre Marriner