On this day - March 3: Ipswich Town beat Bristol City, John Wark scores his last Ipswich goal and a Wilf Grant treble beats Millwall
A look at what made the news at Ipswich Town on this day throughout the years.
Ipswich Town 3 Bristol City 0 - on this day in 2012
Michael Chopra gave the Blues the lead after 25 minutes as he scored his sixth goal in six matches against City, as he converted Lee Martin’s cross from close range to set the Blues on their way to three points which took them up to 14th.
Tommy Smith beat David James to Andy Drury’s corner after the break, before Drury finished things off from 25 yards.
“From start to finish we played at a good tempo and created numerous opportunities,” manager Paul Jewell said.
You may also want to watch:
“My only concern at half-time was that they were still in the game and we should have put it to bed.
“But the whole team, from back to front, was really good.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
John Wark’s final Ipswich Town goal - on this day in 1996
Legendary midfielder, and eventually centre-back, John Wark made 678 appearances for Ipswich across three spells.
He found the net 181 times during those spells, with the last coming in a 4-2 victory over Leicester on this day on 1996. Simon Milton and Ian Marshall also netted for Ipswich that day, with Iwan Roberts scoring twice for the Foxes, while Wark also saw a penalty saved by Kevin Poole.
Turning on the lights - on this day in 1964
The Blues played Lowestoft in a friendly on this day in 1964, with Jackie Milburn’s side in town on the night where Lowestoft officially turned on their new floodlights for the first time. Ipswich lost the game 3-2.
Wilf’s treble beats Millwall - on this day in 1956
Wilf Grant scored three times as Ipswich beat Millwall in Division Three (South) at The Den.