Only Harry Kane and Firmino are ahead of Colchester United’s Sammie Szmodics
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Only Harry Kane and Firmino have scored more goals than Colchester United marksman Sammie Szmodics this month!
On song Szmodics, more of an attacking midfielder than an out-and-out striker, has plundered five goals in four games during December, and the 22-year-old will be looking to add to that tally at Chesterfield tomorrow afternoon.
Remarkably, only Tottenham’s much-talked-about Kane and Brazilian ace Firmino, of Liverpool, have chalked up more goals over the last four weeks in England’s top four divisions .
England striker Kane, who broke Alan Shearer’s record of 36 Premier League goals for a calendar year with a hat-trick against Southampton on Boxing Day, to boost his annual tally to 39, has netted eight goals during this month, while Firmino has bagged six goals for Liverpool.
Szmodics is level with West Ham’s Marko Arnautovic, Manchester United’s Jesse Lingard and Peterborough’s Jack Marriott on five goals.
Tottenham do not play again this year – their next fixture is at Swansea on January 2 – although Liverpool entertain Leicester City tomorrow afternoon.
Naturally, one of Szmodics’ biggest admirers is his strike-force partner Mikael Mandron. The duo both scored in the U’s last outing, a 2-0 win at Crawley Town on Boxing Day.
- 1 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 2 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 3 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 4 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 5 McKenna hoping Portman Road routine changes can help 'find an edge'
- 6 Police arrest driver after single car crash
- 7 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in Stanley win
- 9 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
- 10 'It's an important win' - McKenna on 2-1 victory against Accrington
“It made us way more comfortable when Sammie scored, and at the minute he just can’t stop scoring,” enthused Mandron.
“I hope he just keeps going. It’s great for him and its great for the team. At the minute, he is just on flames.
“Sammie is so full of confidence and it just seems that every-time he is in front of goal, he is going to score.
“We just keep winning, and we just want to keep that form going.
“It’s also going well for me, that’s eight goals for me now, and I have to keep it going. Sammie and I have got 20 goals between us this season. We’re a good partnership, and when you have someone like Sammie who is able to score 12 goals then it helps the whole team. It helps everybody.
“If we can keep it going into the second half of the season, then who knows what we can achieve? Promotion hopefully.
“And I’m personally working towards catching Sammie’s goals tally!” added Mandron.