Organised Brentwood are too good for Sudbury who make too many errors
Sudbury faced second placed Brentwood on Saturday and again put up a competitive display against a well drilled side - the Essex side running out victors.
Sudbury kicked off up the slope and Brentwood knocked on with their first touch of the ball, Sudbury attacked from the 22 scrum but their own knock on ended the move.
After eight minutes of play Brentwood mounted their first organised attack and good hands put the ball across the park to Galligan on the wing who ran round behind the posts to score. The game was being played at an amazing pace but handling errors spoilt the home side’s good work, allowing Brentwood to clear their lines.
On the half hour Brentwood increased their lead with an easy penalty when the blues pulled down the maul. Brentwood’s stronger pack mounted a pick and drive from the Sudbury 22 to score again but in the final minutes of the half Sudbury put in a huge effort to put Charles Jackson clear on the right to score, Tom Summers added the extra two points, seven points they had to work very hard to gain.
At the restart Brentwood charged down the Sudbury clearance kick and crossed the paint work but was held up.
You may also want to watch:
They retained field position and kept play in the Sudbury red zone eventually scoring from a five metre scrum and then through two pairs of hands to touch down after three minutes of play. Missed tackles were costing Sudbury dear and the visitors scored again as the backs ran through the Sudbury defence to score again. Sudbury made several good breaks without score but eventually broke through with Jonny Taylor and then again from a line-out in the Brentwood 22 when Brentwood over threw the line and Sudbury pounced on the ball for Tom Barry to score.
The Brentwood strength was having a toll on Sudbury and all the replacements had been used and continued pressure eventually paid dividends with another score on the half hour.
- 1 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 4 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 5 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 6 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 7 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 8 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 9 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 10 Is this the most perfect pizza in Suffolk?
Sam Maile made a great break from the restart taking play into the Brentwood 22 before spilling the ball and two fly-hacks sent the ball back to the Sudbury 22 and a race two see who could rum the fastest, unfortunately Brentwood won.
Sudbury worked hard up until the final whistle but to no avail, again Sudbury put up a good rugby performance but too many mistakes again cost dear, poor handling and missed tackles being the main problem.