Owen in England squad
MICHAEL Owen has been named in the England squad to face Estonia and Russia in the Euro 2008 qualifiers.England coach Steve McClaren has spoken to Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce and has given the England striker the green light for the double header, where six points would see England virtually into next summer's finals.
MICHAEL Owen has been named in the England squad to face Estonia and Russia in the Euro 2008 qualifiers.
England coach Steve McClaren has spoken to Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce and has given the England striker the green light for the double header, where six points would see England virtually into next summer's finals.
Owen is recovering well from stomach surgery but there remains a question mark over his fitness although he could play against Everton on Sunday.
Chelsea defender John Terry is also included after playing in a protective mask in midweek as the Blues won in Valencia.
You may also want to watch:
There is no place for former Ipswich Town striker Darren Bent, now at Spurs, although Dean Ashton is back in his first call-up since McClaren's first game in charge against Greece in August 2006 when he broke his ankle in training.
Frank Lampard is also called up after recovering from a thigh injury, which has ruled him out since the end of August.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 6 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain
A high-profile absentee is David Beckham who has been out of action with a knee injury he sustained on August 29 and only returned to training with Los Angeles Galaxy yesterday.
Also out injured are Michael Carrick, Owen Hargreaves and Emile Heskey.
England squad for the Euro 2008 qualifiers against Estonia at Wembley on October 13 and Russia in Moscow on October 17:
Robinson (Tottenham), James (Portsmouth),Carson (Liverpool, on loan at Aston Villa), Richards (Man City), Brown (Man Utd), Ferdinand (Man Utd), Terry (Chelsea), A Cole (Chelsea), P Neville (Everton), Campbell (Portsmouth), Lescott (Everton), Shorey (Reading), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Barry (Aston Villa), J Cole (Chelsea), Downing (Middlesbrough), Lampard (Chelsea), Young (Aston Villa), Bentley (Blackburn), Owen (Newcastle), Rooney (Man Utd), Smith (Newcastle), Ashton (West Ham), Defoe (Tottenham), Johnson (Everton), Crouch (Liverpool)