Packwood joins on loan after Okuonghae ruled out for rest of season
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United have moved quickly to sign a replacement for the injured Magnus Okuonghae, bringing in Birmingham City defender Will Packwood on loan.
The USA Under-23 international has joined the U’s until January 1 following the news that Okuonghae will require surgery on the ruptured Achilles tendon he suffered in Saturday’s 1-0 home defeat to Coventry.
Okuonghae is set to miss the rest of the season as a result and, with Frankie Kent and Josh Thompson also sidelined, U’s boss Tony Humes has acted quickly.
Packwood, 21, has made 17 senior appearances for Birmingham and made eight appearances on loan for Bristol Rovers last season. He is available for Colchester’s game at MK Dons on Saturday.
U’s boss Tony Humes said: “It’s a massive blow for Magnus and I really feel for him at the moment.
“He has had a stop start season with suspensions and a hamstring injury and now has this injury to contend with.
“Around five or six months is the projected recovery time, so it looks like it could be the rest of the season for him.”
- 1 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 2 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 3 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 6 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 7 Former Town defender McGreal returns to club in coaching role
- 8 Major west Suffolk road reopens after two vehicle crash
- 9 Friends speak of 'spiking' in market town and advise others: 'be careful'
- 10 Soldiers tested in drugs probe at Suffolk airbase
– See tomorrow’s EADT for all the latest.