Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues tell Palace they want ‘in excess of £4m’ for Bialkowski
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town have told Crystal Palace that they want ‘in excess of £4m’ for star keeper Bartosz Bialkowski if they are to sell during the January transfer window, according to the Daily Mirror.
Roy Hodgson’s men – who are just a point above the Premier League drop zone – are on the look out for a new keeper and, according to this report, have put Bialkowski top of their wish-list.
The Eagles have also been linked with Paris Saint-Germain’s Kevin Trapp, Manchester United’s Sam Johnstone, who is on loan at Aston Villa, and QPR’s Alex Smithies in recent weeks.
Bialkowski, 30, has been in outstanding form since the start of 2016 and twice been named the club’s Supporters’ Player of the Year. He is now in the final few months of his Portman Road contract, but Town do have the option to extend that by a further 12 months.
Town have homegrown keeper Michael Crowe on the bench at present as back-up man Dean Gerken is sidelined with a hip problem and not due back any time soon.
Blues boss Mick McCarthy, who has repeatedly hailed Bialkowski as the best keeper in the Championship, was asked about the reported Palace interest last week. He said: “Everybody knows Crystal Palace are looking for a goalkeeper. And I think they’ve looked in the Championship. I saw Alex Smithies got a mention at QPR, and there are loads of them being mentioned.
“I don’t know, they’ll be doing their due diligence on all the goalkeepers. All everybody knows is that Bart is a really top Championship keeper.
“But they might be looking for somebody who has got Premier League experience. I don’t know. I’m not picking and choosing their team.”
- 1 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 2 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 3 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 6 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 7 Former Town defender McGreal returns to club in coaching role
- 8 Major west Suffolk road reopens after two vehicle crash
- 9 Friends speak of 'spiking' in market town and advise others: 'be careful'
- 10 Soldiers tested in drugs probe at Suffolk airbase
Polish-born Bialkowski, whose former clubs include Southampton and Notts County, has spoken several times about happy his young family are in Suffolk but admitted ‘everyone wants to play at the highest level’.
McCarthy said ‘unless we sold anybody I doubt we’ll buy anyone’ heading into the January transfer window. It looks as though the club will cash in on striker Kieffer Moore following his 13-goal loan spell at League One club Rotherham United.
Winger Danny Rowe has today completed a loan move to League Two promotion-chasing side Lincoln City.