parkrun round-up: Heath first at Clacton, Howlett leads home field at Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
In the latest in our Series on the ever-popular parkruns across Suffolk and North-Essex, we focus on the events at Clacton, Ipswich and Bury St Edmunds
It was another fine Saturday morning for parkrunning, across the region, with a field of 194 enjoying the weather at the 138th staging of the Clacton Seafront parkrun, held over three laps on the lower and upper promenades.
The experienced Richard Heath, of Colchester Harriers, was first home in 17mins 40secs at his first crack at this event, with Hillingdon's Charlie Edwards second in a personal best of 18:30.
Tony Bacon, of Saffron Striders, took third in 18:36, which was also a PB for the course.
Over-55 veteran Debbie Cattermole, of Colchester Harriers, was the first lady to complete the 5K course in 22:12, with Ilford ACA's Jenni Sheahan 27 seconds behind in 22:39.
You may also want to watch:
Those running their first-ever parkruns included Paul Rayner, Adrian Turner, Ben Creus, Jamie Creus, Mary Muir, Claire Polanis, Evie Thompson, Joanne Williams and Andrew Studd.
Over at Chantry Park, a field of 343 lined up for the 357th staging of the Ipswich parkrun.
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 3 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 4 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 5 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 6 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 7 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 8 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 9 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 10 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
Adam Howlett, of Framlingham Flyers, marked his 235th parkrun with first place in 17:41, some way off his impressive PB of 16:48.
- Carl Marston's parkrun tour: tough challenge at Highwoods parkrun in Colchester
Ipswich Harriers' Michael Fuller was a runner-up in 18:03 and John Jousiffe third in 18:26. Also under 19 minutes were Andrew Farn (18:55) and Felixstowe Road Runners' over-50 veteran Dave Solomon (18:57 at his 258th parkrun, and 229th at Ipswich).
Hannah Jacques was the first female at Ipswich in 23:14, with junior athlete Rosalind Saise (11-14 year-old age group) second with 24:01.
It was back to normal business at the Bury St Edmunds parkrun, after the sixth anniversary celebrations of the previous weekend (the inaugural event in Nowton Park was held on June 29, 2013, with 160 taking part).
A field of 217 toed the line for the weekly two-lap challenge on Saturday morning. Harry Beddows marked his first appearance at the event by finishing first in 17:40, followed by Max Jeffery, a very talented junior athlete from West Suffolk AC (10-year-old age section), who was second in 19:45.
There was a personal best for third-placed Adam Young (20:03). Just a second behind was Colchester Harriers' Drew Olley, with Saint Edmund Pacers' Oliver Schofield clocking 20:08 in fifth.
Over-50 veteran Caroline Tuck, from Dagenham 88 Runners, was the first lady in 22:28, with West Suffolk AC's over-55 Maureen McCarthy just 10 seconds behind.