Patience pays off for sailor Luke
LUKE Patience has become the first Scot to be named in Team GB’s squad for this year’s Olympic Games in London.
The sailor from Helensburgh will represent the nation in the Men’s 470 competition alongside Stuart Bithell.
The duo have been chosen ahead of double Olympic silver medallist Nick Rogers and double World Champions Nic Asher and Elliot Willis.
Patience said: “Being the first Scot to be selected for Team GB is a very privileged position, there are not many of us and we are in the minority and I hope we will see a few more.
“We are a small country and there are not many sportsmen there so I’m dead privileged to be part of that and I hope I will do my country proud.
You may also want to watch:
“We wouldn’t be doing this sport and living this lifestyle if we didn’t feel we could win a gold in London and be the best in the world. The main goal, the dream is to go to London and win gold.
“I have all the confidence in the world that me and Stuart can do that if we deliver our best on the day and we will hopefully see some shiny medals and we will be standing on the slightly higher podium.”
- 1 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 2 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 9 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 10 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?