Paul Jewell becomes Richie Wellens’ assistant at Oldham
- Credit: Archant
Former Ipswich Town boss Paul Jewell has been appointed as Richie Wellen’s’ assistant manager at League One club Oldham Athletic.
Jewell, 52, has been out of football since he was sacked by Town owner Marcus Evans in October, save for a seven-day spell as assistant to Tony Pulis at West Brom in January 2015.
He signed midfielder Wellens, now 37, on loan for Ipswich in 2012, with the outspoken Wellens going on to say not enough players cared about losing after the 3-0 home defeat to Sheffield Wednesday which proceeded Mick McCarthy’s appointment.
Jewell – who guided Bradford and Wigan to the Premier League in 98/99 and 04/05 respectively – told Oldham’s website: “I’ve been out the game for a long time now but I’ve not had my eyes closed.
“I don’t want to be the manager and Richie is new to the job. I was 33 when I got my first job and you are never ready. I thought I was but you have no idea what it entails.
“I’m only here to do what he wants me to do. You have to make mistakes to learn from them but there are some that are avoidable. If I can help Richie avoid those mistakes that I made and a lot of managers make then that’s what I want to do.”
You may also want to watch:
Wellens replaced John Sheridan at Boundary Park following his sacking in September and has taken Oldham to 17th in League One.
- 1 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 2 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 3 £1m renovation on Suffolk castle will change the appearance
- 4 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 5 Revealed: The most popular names for babies born in Suffolk in 2020
- 6 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 7 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 8 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 9 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 10 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees