‘I’m pleased... we played some really good football’ - Lambert on Town’s Spurs performance
Ipswich Town boss Paul Lambert was proud of his players despite their 3-0 defeat at Tottenham this afternoon.
Three first-half goals – two from Son Heung-min and one from Ryan Sessegnon – proved the difference in the clash between the 2019 Champions League finalists and League One Town, though the Blues were far from disgraced as they build towards the start of the third tier season.
The visitors never really threatened the Tottenham goal but continued to play throughout, having decent spells of possession against a side made up of vastly superior players.
“Oh no, far from it,” Lambert said, when it was put to him his side were not disgraced, despite the loss.
MORE: Player grades - How the Town players performed in their 3-0 defeat at Tottenham“I thought we started the game really well and played some good football. We lost a goal through a mistake from young Aaron Drinan, who has been brilliant for us through pre-season, when he tried to do something in one touch which he should have done in two.
“But you’re up against a team who were in the Champions League final last year.
You may also want to watch:
“Cornell made an error for the second goal but he’s trying to play, which is what I’ve asked of him. So what I’m pleased with is how we played some really good football.
“If the lads can learn from the speed of the ball and take that into their own game, then that can only be a positive. I know what it’s like because I’ve been at this level of management in the Premier League and I know the top players can punish you in the blink of an eye.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 3 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 5 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 6 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 7 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 8 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 9 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 10 The best roast dinners in Suffolk as chosen by our readers
“But the players will be better for this. I’ve been to the stadium to watch a few games and it’s incredible so this will be a great experience.
MORE: Tottenham Hotspur 3-0 Ipswich Town - Lambert’s men beaten but not disgraced at Premier League SpursLambert continued: “I thought Toto Nsiala did well for us, Drinan did well, and there are a lot of good things happening for us at the minute. I’m really happy with how we’re playing.
“But when you play against the top ones you really have to be on it.”
James Norwood, James Wilson and Oli Hawkins were sat in the stand as their team-mates took on Spurs, with Lambert revealing the trio are not far away from being involved.
“Hopefully both James Norwood and James Wilson could train with us on Monday, which would be a plus,” he said.
“Oli is maybe a little bit behind, given he’s only done a week with us, but when he is ready to play he’ll bring us something different that’s for sure.”