‘He’s certainly got a chance’ - Lambert on Drinan’s future at Town
Paul Lambert believes Irish striker Aaron Drinan has a real chance of playing a part for Ipswich Town in League One this season.
The 22-year-old joined the Blues in January 2018 and was hailed by former manager Mick McCarthy and skipper Luke Chambers, but is yet to make his debut for the first team.
Instead he’s spent four spells out on loan, at Sutton United, Waterford, GAIS (Sweden) and Ayr United, before returning to the club this summer.
With James Norwood absent through injury and Oli Hawkins not yet ready for match action following his recent arrival, Drinan has taken his chance with a brace against Colchester and then some good work in Saturday’s 3-0 loss at Tottenham.
MORE: ‘James needs to show me what he can do’ - Lambert on Norwood’s Town future as Swindon show loan interestWhen it was put to him that Drinan had given him something to think about, Lambert said: “He has, I’m really happy with him. His work rate is excellent and he’s done really well.
“He’s only a young lad, we have to remember that, and he’s definitely given us food for thought in the way he’s stepped in and shown desire.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m really happy with him and he’s certainly got a chance.
“Let’s see if he can keep it going.”
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 3 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 4 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 5 Man who built outbuildings and lake without permission fined £1,300
- 6 Snape Maltings launches two new restaurants with far-reaching river views
- 7 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 8 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 9 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 10 Historic East Anglian sailing barge to become floating bakery
Drinan is in the final year with his Town contract and, at 22, would count as one of the Blues 22 overage players under the new League One salary cap.