‘He can’t react the way he did and he knows that’ - Lambert on Downes headbutt
Ipswich Town midfielder Flynn Downes must learn to keep his cool when the red mist falls, according to manager Paul Lambert.
The midfielder was sent off for a violent headbutt in the Blues' final pre-season game at Cambridge last weekend, but will not face a suspension and will be available to face Burton today.
Downes became involved in confrontations with opposition players at both Accrington and Norwich last season, with Lambert admitting it's a side of his game the 20-year-old must work on.
"He's a really good player but obviously everyone saw the incident," Lambert said of Downes.
"Tackles are part of the game but tackles like that will happen to him more times than not throughout his career.
You may also want to watch:
"He can't react the way he did and he knows that. It's part of his learning curve and he has to handle that and not get involved if things like that happen."
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash