‘He’s a player the club should look to do something with’ - Lambert on Bishop contract
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Paul Lambert believes Ipswich Town should ensure midfielder Teddy Bishop is tied down to a new deal.
The midfielder, plagued by injuries in recent years, is back to full fitness following a hamstring injury which kept him out for more than a year and has now made four appearances under Lambert.
His contract is up this summer, after Ipswich took the option in his contract to extend it by 12 months last April, and Lambert hopes his future can be secured.
“I think for myself with Bishop is that two years is a long time to not be playing,” Lambert said.
“He’s a talent but it was about whether he could sustain it. He’s doing well and has broken the back of it now and is training well. He looks sharper, fitter and stronger.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s one player the club should look at and see if we can do something with him because I think he’s a really good player.”
Speaking recently, Bishop affirmed his desire to stay at ‘my club’.
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 3 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 4 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 5 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 6 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 8 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 9 Exhausted farmers cool off the combines after gruelling harvest
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
“The target is to help the club stay up but personally I want to win a new contract as well because I want to stay here,” he said.
“I’ve been here since age seven, 15 years or so. It’s my club.
“The difference this season, hopefully, is that I’m fit and I have a chance to show what I can do over the rest of the season.”
TEDDY BISHOP CAREER STATS
2014/15: 25 starts (11 sub apps)
2015/16: 2 (2)
2016/17: 7 (13)
2017/18: 1 (3)
2018/19: 2 (3)