Watch Ipswich Town boss Lambert in action for Borussia Dortmund legends against Liverpool
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town boss Paul Lambert laced up his boots once again earlier today as he turned out for Borussia Dortmund Legends against Liverpool.
Wearing the same No.14 shirt he wore in Dortmund's 1997 Champions League victory over Juventus, Lambert started in a three-man midfield in a team also including former team-mates Jorg Heinrich and Karl-Heize Riedle.
The 49-year-old put in a strong challenge early on and kept the ball moving well throughout the game, played in front of 21,000 fans in Hong Kong.
Lambert also helped manage the team alongside Heinrich, who is the current Dortmund assistant.
His most-notable contribution saw him shown a yellow card in the second half after dragging Dirk Kuyt to the floor as the former Liverpool man looked to break forward.
You may also want to watch:
Lambert spent a little over a season at the German giants after joining from Motherwell in 1996, helping the club win Europe's biggest prize and finish third in the Bundesliga. He returned to Scotland in 1997 with Celtic.
Liverpool won the game 3-2 with Salif Diao scoring twice, including an effort from the halfway line, and a winner coming from striker Robbie Fowler.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 3 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 4 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 5 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 6 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 7 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
- 8 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 9 WATCH: Ever Given docks at Felixstowe after four-month delay
Mladen Petric and Ewerthon scored Dortmund's goals.
Former Liverpool full-back Jose Enrique made his legends debut in this game, having recovered from surgery to remove a brain tumour a year ago.
Liverpool: Westerveld; McAteer, Kvarme, Agger, Johnson; Diao, Berger; Kuyt, McManaman, Garcia; Fowler.
Subs: Enrique, Henchoz, Babb, Smicer, Biscan
Dortmund: Weidenfeller, Evanilson, Ceser, Kringe, Pyo-Lee; Heinrich, Lambert, Petric; Ewerthon, Tinga; Riedle
Subs: Koller, Stevic, Owomoyela, Zidan