Woodbridge Town too good for Goddy as ‘Peckers’ win back-to-back games
- Credit: Archant
Woodbridge Town 3 Godmanchester Rovers 0
Woodbridge Town produced a dominant display from start to finish to see off an in-form Rovers side who sat third in the table at start of play, writes Dave Meeson
Having secured their first league win of the season at Wroxham last time out, goals from Matt MacKenzie, Ryan Keeble and Kelsey Trotter ensured it was six points out of six for Jamie Scales’ side.
The hosts were on the front foot from the first whistle and former Ipswich Town man Carlos Edwards was soon testing Niall Conroy in the Rovers’ goal before Callum Sinclair set up Keeble who fired into the side-netting.
In a frantic start, Goddy’s top scorer Michael Hyem got behind the home defence only to dally when attempting to go round Peckers keeper Alfie Stronge and the chance was gone.
You may also want to watch:
Woodbridge should have taken the lead on 20 minutes when impressive young midfielder Ellis Murrell miscued an effort into the path of Trotter who somehow screwed the ball wide with only an out of position Conroy to beat.
The one way traffic towards the Rovers’ net continued as Conroy saved from MacKenzie with his feet before the striker put the rebound over.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 3 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 4 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 5 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 7 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 10 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
Woodbridge were not to be denied and on 36 minutes.
Trotter drove into the area before sending in an angled drive which was spilled by Conroy leaving MacKenzie to tap home his third goal in three games at the back post
The Peckers extended their advantage early in the second period when Edwards delivered an inch-perfect cross from the right-hand touchline into the path of the onrushing Keeble who spectacularly volleyed into the roof of the net from around eight yards out.
Mackenzie could have had another soon afterwards after another fine passing move involving Sean Rea and Sinclair.
Goddy made a double substitution and went to three at the back but this made little difference although Arran Mackay eventually tested Stronge when he was pushed up front.
Trotter then completed the scoring in injury time as he found himself in acres of space to slide the ball into the bottom corner after a sublime chipped pass from substitute Alex Greggor.
More non-league news and match reports on www.greenun24.co.uk