Peter ‘Snakebite’ Wright in danger of being eliminated at ‘Judgement Night’
- Credit: Archant
It’s ‘Judgement Night’ for the Premier League Darts players in Manchester tonight – and Suffolk’s Peter ‘Snakebite’ Wright is in danger of being eliminated.
Week nine of the ever-popular PDC-ranked tournament, shown live on Sky Sports every Thursday from 7pm, sees the two bottom-placed players exit the competition.
And Wright will be hoping to keep his survival prospects alive this evening with a make-or-break encounter against Adrian Lewis.
Mendham-based Wright, who lost 7-3 to James Wade last Thursday, sits fourth bottom before proceedings start tonight, just one point and two places above his rival, who would move above Wright if he were to win.
In a league format that sees two points awarded for a win, and one for a draw, Wright will hope to steer clear of the bottom two by avoiding defeat – something he has managed on five of the last six Premier League Darts encounters.
You may also want to watch:
Following a disappointing start which saw him thrashed 7-1 by Dave Chisnall and Gary Anderson in successive weeks, Wright has upped his game in recent weeks with 6-6 draws against Raymond van Barneveld, Phil Taylor, Michael van Gerwen and Stephen Bunting, adding to his 7-5 win over bottom-placed Kim Huybrechts a fortnight ago.
But the victory over Huybrechts is Wright’s only triumph so far, leaving him in danger of being knocked out tonight.
- 1 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 2 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 All 24 League One home kits ranked from worst to first
- 7 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 8 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 9 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 10 'They have big dreams... we're in great hands' - Town favourite Yallop on his links to new US owners
His almighty clash with Lewis is the penultimate game scheduled this evening and, should Wright be defeated, he will be reliant on 2015 World Champion Gary Anderson beating last year’s Premier League Darts winner Raymond van Barneveld, third bottom before tonight’s proceedings, in the last game of the evening.
Belgian Huybrechts, one of three new faces in the competition this year, must hope for a miracle if he is to avoid elimination, while fellow new-boy Stephen Bunting isn’t completely safe, although his superior leg difference should prove crucial. The two meet in ‘match three’ tonight.
Following ‘Judgement Night’, the eight remaining participants will play each other once more during the final six league nights, before the top four-placed players will advance into the play-offs at the 02 Arena, London on May 21.
Tonight’s fixtures Judgement Night, Week Nine, The Manchester Arena Revised order of play (from 7pm)
Michael van Gerwen v James Wade
Phil Taylor v Dave Chisnall
Stephen Bunting v Kim Huybrechts
Adrian Lewis v Peter Wright
Gary Anderson v Raymond van Barneveld