Peter ‘Snakebite’ Wright in danger of being eliminated at ‘Judgement Night’
- Credit: Archant
It’s ‘Judgement Night’ for the Premier League Darts players in Manchester tonight – and Suffolk’s Peter ‘Snakebite’ Wright is in danger of being eliminated.
Week nine of the ever-popular PDC-ranked tournament, shown live on Sky Sports every Thursday from 7pm, sees the two bottom-placed players exit the competition.
And Wright will be hoping to keep his survival prospects alive this evening with a make-or-break encounter against Adrian Lewis.
Mendham-based Wright, who lost 7-3 to James Wade last Thursday, sits fourth bottom before proceedings start tonight, just one point and two places above his rival, who would move above Wright if he were to win.
In a league format that sees two points awarded for a win, and one for a draw, Wright will hope to steer clear of the bottom two by avoiding defeat – something he has managed on five of the last six Premier League Darts encounters.
Following a disappointing start which saw him thrashed 7-1 by Dave Chisnall and Gary Anderson in successive weeks, Wright has upped his game in recent weeks with 6-6 draws against Raymond van Barneveld, Phil Taylor, Michael van Gerwen and Stephen Bunting, adding to his 7-5 win over bottom-placed Kim Huybrechts a fortnight ago.
But the victory over Huybrechts is Wright’s only triumph so far, leaving him in danger of being knocked out tonight.
- 1 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 2 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in Stanley win
- 3 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 4 'It's an important win' - McKenna on 2-1 victory against Accrington
- 5 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 6 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-1 win v Accrington
- 7 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 8 Ipswich Town 2-1 Accrington Stanley: Blues fight back to beat scrappy visitors
- 9 "I love him... I think he’s absolutely brilliant' - Chaplin on Town boss McKenna
- 10 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
His almighty clash with Lewis is the penultimate game scheduled this evening and, should Wright be defeated, he will be reliant on 2015 World Champion Gary Anderson beating last year’s Premier League Darts winner Raymond van Barneveld, third bottom before tonight’s proceedings, in the last game of the evening.
Belgian Huybrechts, one of three new faces in the competition this year, must hope for a miracle if he is to avoid elimination, while fellow new-boy Stephen Bunting isn’t completely safe, although his superior leg difference should prove crucial. The two meet in ‘match three’ tonight.
Following ‘Judgement Night’, the eight remaining participants will play each other once more during the final six league nights, before the top four-placed players will advance into the play-offs at the 02 Arena, London on May 21.
Tonight’s fixtures Judgement Night, Week Nine, The Manchester Arena Revised order of play (from 7pm)
Michael van Gerwen v James Wade
Phil Taylor v Dave Chisnall
Stephen Bunting v Kim Huybrechts
Adrian Lewis v Peter Wright
Gary Anderson v Raymond van Barneveld