Peter “Snakebite” Wright must get off to winning start in PDC Premier League Darts
- Credit: Archant
The new season of PDC Premier League Darts gets underway tonight, and former world champion Keith Deller believes Suffolk hopeful Peter Wright must get off to a flying start.
Wright, nicknamed “Snakebite” was runner-up in last month’s World Championships at Alexandra Palace but suffered a second round defeat to Wayne Jones in the German Darts Championship last week.
Wright begins his campaign against world number eight Wes Newton and, with fixtures against 16-time world champion Phil Taylor among the schedule, Deller insists Wright needs to start with a win.
“Peter will be confident from the World Championships, but he struggled a bit last week in Germany,” said Deller.
“In the first four weeks, he needs to hopefully get a couple of wins.
You may also want to watch:
“Three from the first four weeks would be ideal because, if you are struggling after the first month, the pressure builds and players start trying too hard.
“With the likes of Phil Taylor, Adrian Lewis and Michael van Gerwen in the Premier League, I think both players will be looking at this game as being one they both must win.”
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 6 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 7 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 8 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 9 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 10 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
Scotland-born Wright is based in Mendham and has become a fans’ favourite thanks to his garish outfits and explosive play.
Such personality is a perfect fit with the glitz and glamour that comes with the Premier League and Deller has challenged Wright to live up to his reputation.
“He has got to back all that up now,” said Deller,
“Expectations will have grown around Peter, since he made the World Championships final and if he starts to lose, fans will begin to say ‘he has had his two weeks in the spotlight’. Fans can be very fickle.
“At this event you are playing the best players week in, week out and experience does help.”
Deller will be part of Sky’s production team working in Liverpool and revealed his predictions for the event.
“I think we will be looking at a top four of Taylor, Lewis, van Gerwen and, I have a sneaking feeling, Gary Anderson.
“I don’t think you can look past Phil (Taylor) though. He’s lost some weight and looks strong.”
Tonight’s fixtures: Dave Chisnall v Robert Thornton, Peter Wright v Wes Newton, R van Barneveld v Gary Anderson, Phil Taylor v Michael van Gerwen, Simon Whitlock v Adrian Lewis