Platt's entertainment, says Williams
COLCHESTER United manager Geraint Williams heaped praise on striker Clive Platt for his role in the U's 3-1 victory at Swindon Town.Platt was not amongst the scorers, but he was a thorn in the side of Swindon's defenders all afternoon.
COLCHESTER United manager Geraint Williams heaped praise on striker Clive Platt for his role in the U's 3-1 victory at Swindon Town.
Platt was not amongst the scorers, but he was a thorn in the side of Swindon's defenders all afternoon.
“Clive (Platt) is often the unsung hero of the team. I thought he gave a master class in how to lead the front-line,” enthused Williams.
You may also want to watch:
“He won his headers, held the ball up well and ran into the channels. He did everything except score a goal, but he was there to set up others.
“He was so dominant, and the likes of Jacko (Johnnie Jackson) benefited with his goal. He headed it down for Jacko, who scored with his left foot for a change - last season he was always scoring with his right foot.
- 1 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 2 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 3 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 4 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 5 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 7 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 8 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 9 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 10 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
“I thought it was a good team performance. We defended very well, although I thought some of our crossing into the box was disappointing.
“We stood up to what Swindon threw at us in the second-half, and I thought the penalty against us was a little harsh, especially as we had one at the other end that was not given. These decisions often end up being vital, but fortunately not today,” added Williams.
The U's goalscorers were Jackson and Scott Vernon in the first-half, and substitute Akanni-Sunday Wasiu in stoppage time. It was the U's first league win of the campaign.