Platt strike steals draw for Colchester
Sheffield United 2 Colchester United 2DEBUTANT Clive Platt rescued a battling point for Colchester United, thanks to a splendid header in the 89th minute of a see-saw contest at Sheffield United.
By Carl Marston
Sheffield United 2 Colchester United 2
DEBUTANT Clive Platt rescued a battling point for Colchester United, thanks to a splendid header in the 89th minute of a see-saw contest at Sheffield United.
The U's twice came from behind in the second half to force a deserved draw against a Blades side who were playing in the Premier League only three months earlier.
You may also want to watch:
Their £4m signing, James Beattie, broke the deadlock in the 67th minute, only for Kevin McLeod to tap home Mark Yeates' low cross within 60 seconds for a surprise equaliser.
The Blades thought they had won this opening day clash, when substitute Michael Tonge rammed home an unstoppable low drive on 82 minutes, but they hadn't bargained for Platt, who rose unmarked to head home Karl Duguid's late cross.
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 3 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 4 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 5 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 6 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
- 7 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 8 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 9 Ndaba on Salford, Neville's advice, his brush with Ronaldo-mania and his goal of reaching the Ipswich Town first-team
- 10 Five fire engines called to red deer trapped in tree
It was the perfect way for Platt to mark his U's debut, following his £300,000 move from MK Dons this summer.