Please can the season start now! – Sears
FREDDIE Sears would love the new season to start, tomorrow!
Man-of-the-moment Sears netted a quality brace in Colchester United’s 2-2 draw against Championship visitors Derby County, in Friday night’s pre-season friendly.
Sears’ two long-range strikes, either side of half-time, boosted his goal tally for pre-season to an impressive six.
Now the ex-West Ham attacker, recruited on a three-year deal this summer, is counting down the days until the new campaign kicks off – with a Carling Cup tie at Yeovil on Tuesday, August 14. He can hardly wait.
“I’d love to see the season start tomorrow,” insisted Sears.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m itching to get going at the moment. I just can’t wait for Yeovil and then Preston (first league game). I’m just ready to play really.
“Pre-season has been going so well. We all got together in Holland, and the new boys Beany (Marcus Bean) and Clinty (Clinton Morrison) have integrated well.
- 1 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 4 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 7 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 8 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
“In fact, it’s the best pre-season I have ever had,” added Sears.
Londoner Sears enjoyed a loan spell at Colchester at the back end of last season, when the U’s ended in 10th spot.
But the 22-year-old is predicting an even better showing for 2012-13.
“You never know this season,” continued Sears.
“There are not really any big teams (in League One). You look at last season, and the big guns like Sheffield Wednesday, Charlton and Huddersfield are now out of our league.
“So who knows?”
Sears’ six goals, in pre-season, have come at Vitesse Arnhem, Heybridge (2), Maldon & Tiptree and against Derby (2).
His two efforts against the Rams were particularly pleasing.
“I’m obviously confident at the moment in front of goal,” confirmed Sears.
“I’m on a good streak at the minute and I’m just hoping that I can take this into the new season.
“I’m shooting from anywhere and feeling very confident, and that is coming out in my performances.
“The gaffer (John Ward) has been telling me to shoot from distance. We’ve been talking about getting in more shots because there is no point in playing good football and then not having an end product.
“We’ve got goals in us, especially from the front three boys.
“You look at Kemi (Izzet) and Bondy (Andy Bond) to sit back more. They do a good job for us, so that we can express ourselves up top,” concluded Sears.