POLL: Ipswich Town sign striker Conor Sammon on loan from Derby County
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town have signed striker Conor Sammon on a season-long loan from Championship rivals Derby County.
The 27-year-old Irishman made his name at Scottish club Kilmarnock, making a £600,00 switch to Wigan in January 2011. A year-and-a-half later he moved to Derby for £1.2m where he has scored 10 league goals in 44 starts and 38 sub appearances.
Thirty-four of those aforementioned sub displays came last season, Sammon – often introduced as the striker who would run the channels, hold the ball and help see games out – helping the Rams to a third-place finish and a run to the Play-Off Final.
The physical front man is likely to play a similar role for the Blues, providing back-up to Daryl Murphy and David McGoldrick. His arrival, which comes hot on the heels of Paul Taylor’s departure to Rotherham on loan, should see Balint Bajner, Frank Nouble and Jack Marriott drop down the strikers pecking order.
Sammon has been handed the number 32 shirt, the same number that was worn by former fans’ favourite Shefki Kuqi – another physical and hard-working front man – at Portman Road.
You may also want to watch:
He trained with his new team-mates this morning and should be eligible to play at Reading tomorrow providing the paperwork is completed by the football authorities before Saturday’s noon deadline.
– What do you think? Leave your comments below.
- 1 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 2 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 6 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 7 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 8 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 9 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 10 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe