Pompey to sign Watford striker
WATFORD have accepted an offer from Portsmouth for Tommy Smith. (Mirror)The former Derby forward looked to be on his way to Reading after the Hornets accepted a bid from the Royals on Tuesday afternoon.
WATFORD have accepted an offer from Portsmouth for Tommy Smith. (Mirror)
The former Derby forward looked to be on his way to Reading after the Hornets accepted a bid from the Royals on Tuesday afternoon.
But Premier League outfit Pompey made a late bid for the 29-year-old, who must now decide whether to join up with former Watford boss Brendan Rodgers at Reading or take the opportunity to play in the top flight.
Smith, who was left out of Watford's squad for their Carling Cup second round tie at Leeds on Tuesday night, was also the subject of a �1.8million bid from Sheffield United this summer.
You may also want to watch:
A statement on Watford's official website said: “Watford can this evening confirm that club has received and accepted an offer from Portsmouth for attacker Tommy Smith.
“The Premiership side made their bid for the 29-year-old late on and it is now down to the player to decide upon a move to Fratton Park or Reading, after the Hornets had accepted an earlier bid from the Berkshire based club.”
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 8 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 9 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 10 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
Smith has been a revelation for Watford since returning for his second spell at the club three years ago and scored 17 goals in 44 Championship appearances last season.