Potential blow for Colchester United’s Sammie Szmodics
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
Colchester United’s young attacking midfielder, Sammie Szmodics, could undergo an operation to resolve a long-term foot injury
Szmodics has not played yet in 2016. In fact, his last appearance was as a second-half substitute during the 3-2 win over non-league Altrincham in the FA Cup on December 6.
The U’s Academy product had his foot in a protective boot, for several weeks, and has recently returned to training.
But the 20-year-old might now need surgery, to solve the problem, which would effectively bring a premature end to his season.
Manager Kevin Keen revealed: “Sammie trained for six or seven days with the under-21s, and has recently had a couple of sessions with the first team,
“But I’m not sure he feels quite right, so we will assess it in the next couple of days.
“He might need an operation.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: How Town's 3-0 win against MK unfolded
- 2 Firefighters tackle large blaze near Suffolk recycling centre
- 3 20 fire engines and 90 firefighters contain large forest blaze
- 4 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 5 A14 near Ipswich remains partially closed after fire breaks out
- 6 Road closed as emergency services called to single-vehicle crash
- 7 Popular carnival's firework display cancelled
- 8 Fire crews extinguish large playing field fire in Suffolk village
- 9 Suffolk letting agent admits swindling customers out of £80,000
- 10 Drought declared in Suffolk as temperatures set to soar this weekend
The U’s are away at Port Vale tomorrow.