Miles Powell bags a brace as Seasiders go 14 points clear at top
- Credit: Archant
Thurlow Nunn Premier Kirkley & Pakefield 1 Felixstowe & Walton United 4 Felixstowe & Walton’s class shone through at the end of this Friday night encounter as they moved 14 points clear at the top of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, writes Phil Griffiths.
Miles Powell scored twice, the first 90 seconds after the start, and his second with virtually the last kick of the game - his 16th of the season.
Scott Chaplin scored the second with a thumping header and substitute Josh Kerridge hit the third beyond Adam Rix from the edge of the area at the end of a flowing move, as the game moved into time added on at the end of 90 minutes.
The home side, struggling at the wrong end of the table, will be happy with the gate receipts, as their average attendance almost trebled as the Seasider supporters enjoyed a Friday night out.
And they won’t be too disappointed with their side’s performance, pushing the visitors onto the back foot after the break, and forcing stand in keeper Kevin Holland into a couple of top class saves each side of half-time, while Kyle Baker spurned a golden chance in the 20th minute, rattling the visitors’ bar with a clear sight of goal from six yards out.
You may also want to watch:
It was a scrappy, stop-start encounter, and after the game manager, Kevin O’Donnell said: “Sometimes you have to win ugly!” That was certainly the case as the hosts gave it their best shot, stifling much of Felixstowe’s attacking play, but lacking the quality in front of goal to put real pressure on their visitors when they got to the final third.
There was a cameo performance from midweek signing Kye Ruel in the last ten minutes, showing he has the ability to impress although lacking match fitness, and when Kyle Haylock reduced the deficit in the 41st minute with the help of a defender’s boot, Felixstowe stepped up the pace to strike twice in added time, to give the result a convincing look.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 10 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country