‘His was a name which kept coming up... he’s done excellently’ - how Town teenager Simpson earned his debut
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Young striker Tyreece Simpson earned his Ipswich Town debut after being given the chance to impress in first-team training over the summer.
The 17-year-old scholar came off the bench in Tuesday night's EFL Trophy victory over Tottenham's Under 21s, holding the ball up well and having a well-struck shot saved by the Spurs goalkeeper.
Simpson is also a talented rugby player and has previously been on trial with Premier League giants Manchester City, but is now forging his way at Ipswich Town and has impressed both academy and first-team bosses in recent months.
"He's done excellently," assistant manager Stuart Taylor said, who also highlighted the progress of teenage defender Tommy Smith.
"We always speak closely with everybody at the academy and his was a name which kept coming through, along with young Tommy Smith, throughout pre-season.
You may also want to watch:
"We've brought Tommy up, he's been involved in training and Tyreece has come up as well and this was his opportunity to go and get a chance tonight.
"Again, I thought he did excellently, he was full of energy, showed his presence, held the ball up well and he was a threat, so it was fantastic that he got that opportunity and it was great that he took it."
- 1 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 2 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 3 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 4 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 5 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 6 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 8 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 9 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 10 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
Both Simpson and Smith are likely to be involved when the Blues' Under 23s take on Nottingham Forest at Portman Road on Monday night.