‘His was a name which kept coming up... he’s done excellently’ - how Town teenager Simpson earned his debut
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Young striker Tyreece Simpson earned his Ipswich Town debut after being given the chance to impress in first-team training over the summer.
The 17-year-old scholar came off the bench in Tuesday night's EFL Trophy victory over Tottenham's Under 21s, holding the ball up well and having a well-struck shot saved by the Spurs goalkeeper.
Simpson is also a talented rugby player and has previously been on trial with Premier League giants Manchester City, but is now forging his way at Ipswich Town and has impressed both academy and first-team bosses in recent months.
"He's done excellently," assistant manager Stuart Taylor said, who also highlighted the progress of teenage defender Tommy Smith.
"We always speak closely with everybody at the academy and his was a name which kept coming through, along with young Tommy Smith, throughout pre-season.
"We've brought Tommy up, he's been involved in training and Tyreece has come up as well and this was his opportunity to go and get a chance tonight.
"Again, I thought he did excellently, he was full of energy, showed his presence, held the ball up well and he was a threat, so it was fantastic that he got that opportunity and it was great that he took it."
- 1 Historic former pub with permission to convert into homes set for auction
- 2 Ipswich Town installed as early League One title favourites
- 3 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Sudbury river
- 4 GALLERY: 'Stunning' turnout as Hadleigh Show returns after enforced break
- 5 5 new places to eat and drink in Woodbridge this year
- 6 Excitement builds as Suffolk Show venue wakes up
- 7 'We're blown away' - Classic car show visits care home after roadworks setback
- 8 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 9 Mike Bacon: Luke Woolfenden.... going nowhere, going everywhere
- 10 'I keep selling out' - Mum-of-two dreams of fudge shop as business thrives
Both Simpson and Smith are likely to be involved when the Blues' Under 23s take on Nottingham Forest at Portman Road on Monday night.