Premiership draw for Town
IPSWICH Town will kick-off their much-needed FA Cup run with a home tie against Premiership strugglers Portsmouth in January.The Blues are desperate for some money-spinning ties to bolster their bank balance and Pompey will bring plenty of their own fans to Portman Road.
By Derek Davis
IPSWICH Town will kick-off their much-needed FA Cup run with a home tie against Premiership strugglers Portsmouth in January.
The Blues are desperate for some money-spinning ties to bolster their bank balance and Pompey will bring plenty of their own fans to Portman Road.
Manager Joe Royle said: “It's a very attractive tie. We will be going into the game as underdogs but, hopefully, we will acquit ourselves well. It would be lovely to have a cup run but, even though Portsmouth are struggling at the moment, they are still a Premier League side. We have shown signs of improvement and, hopefully, we can continue with that.”
You may also want to watch:
Town won the last encounter at home 3-0 but it was party time by then for Portsmouth as the famed 'Harry and Jim's Blue and White Army' celebrated promotion to the Premiership as Division One champions in 2003.
Peter Osgood plucked Ipswich's ball to give them a home draw while Jim Montgomery pulled out Portsmouth, who are expected to install Harry Redknapp as their manager for the second time within the next couple of days.
- 2 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 3 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 4 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 5 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 6 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 7 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 8 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 9 Grieving Cook determined to fill Town fans with joy
- 10 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs