President Sir Bobby adds his own tribute
SIR Bobby Robson has added his own personal tribute to Alan Ball.“I am absolutely stunned,” said Ipswich Town president Sir Bobby, 74, from his home in the North East.
By Mel Henderson
SIR Bobby Robson has added his own personal tribute to Alan Ball.
“I am absolutely stunned,” said Ipswich Town president Sir Bobby, 74, from his home in the North East.
“I had only just heard the news when you rang and I can hardly believe it.”
You may also want to watch:
The former Ipswich and England manager was a big fan of Ball the player and person, and he added: “Alan was a terrific guy.
“I saw him last summer when he came to play in a charity golf tournament I helped to organise on the Algarve, and he was so full of life, his usual bubbly self.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 5 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 6 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 7 Suffolk braced for Indian summer before forecast showers next week
- 8 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 9 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
- 10 Goals, vision and chats with a legend - how Town's loan stars are doing
“He sat on my table at dinner and he seemed to be enjoying life. I am so sad to hear this news. Bally was one of the all-time great footballers as his status as a World Cup winner confirms.”
He added: “Alan never stopped running to the point where I don't think anyone could outrun him, but he was also blessed with great skill. It was a terrific combination.
“He had a great football brain and although he wasn't very big he more than made up for his lack of stature with his ability, courage and a fantastic will to win.
“He was a fine player, the type you love to have on your side and don't like to be up against. He never knew when he was beaten, something that had been drummed into him by his father.”