Preview and competition: John Maguire to headline BCMMA 15 in Colchester on May 7
- Credit: Archant
UFC veteran John Maguire headlines another packed night of mixed martial arts action at BCMMA 15 in Colchester next month.
Maguire faces explosive kickboxer Vincent Del Guerra in the main event of the show, at Charter Hall on May 7, which boasts six professional main card fights and 12 amateur battles featuring some of the region’s finest young talent.
Thomas Robertson defends his welterweight title against Aymard Guh in the co-main event, while unbeaten straweight Bryony Tyrell puts her perfect record on the line in a scrap with Samantha-Jean Francois.
Show promoter Jack Mason, himself a professional MMA fighter, said: “There’s some fantastic fights on the card.
“At the top you’ve got UFC veteran John Maguire against a guy who’s just come off a great kick-boxing win, who is a really good striker and comes to knock you out.
You may also want to watch:
“In the co-main event they’re both explosive fighters and that’s going to be a brilliant fight. Thomas Robertson has been impressive in every show he’s fought on.
“Then you’ve got Bryony Tyrell, who was unbeaten as our amateur champ and is really good, but she’s facing another tough kickboxer.”
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 3 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 4 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 5 Film crews begin shooting Amazon show in Suffolk village
- 6 Dog-friendly pub set to reopen in east Suffolk after major revamp
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 9 GP warns of 'Latitude effect' as cases rise among young people
- 10 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
The undercard features the cream of local rising talent, including amateur lightweight champion Joe Harding and 125lbs amateur belt holder Lee Mitchell, both from Witham, along with Colchester’s Wendy McKenna, who fights Great Yarmouth’s Gemma Thomas for the vacant 105lbs strap.
Promising young fighter Adam Spalding, of Dynamo MMA in Felixstowe, also looks to extend his unbeaten three-fight record.
“BCMMA always matches fights well so you’re guaranteed exciting fights,” said Mason. “You might get a KO or a submission, but they will always be hard-fought bouts.
“We’ve got some of the best guys in the UK matched against some of the best guys from Europe, as well as some of the best local guys on the card.
“You need shows like this – it’s all well and good having the UFC but you need somewhere like this for young guys and girls to hone their skills in a safe environment.”
- Tickets for the night, starting at £30, are available on 07473 752020 or online at www.bcmma.co.uk.