Preview: Suffolk cricket bid to continue fine start against Hertfordshire at Copdock
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk will be bidding to continue with their positive approach when they host Hertfordshire in the three-day Unicorns Championship fixture at Copdock, starting on Sunday.
Coach Andy Northcote is looking for his charges to build on their performances so far this season that have taken them to the summit of the Eastern Division after two rounds of matches.
After being almost certainly robbed of victory by a wash-out on the final day at home to Buckinghamshire, Suffolk then won away to Northumberland by ten wickets.
Northcote said: “We really need to focus on what we did well up north, bat in partnerships and be patient with the ball, looking for consistency, and the rest will take care of itself.
“We have been really positive with our approach and will continue to do so. Northumberland will live long in the memory of a good trip and I look forward to trying to create another positive experience at Copdock.”
Jaik Mickleburgh, Martyn Cull and Michael Comber all return to the side, after being rested for last Sunday’s Unicorns East T20 Tournament at Bury St Edmunds which saw Suffolk lose to Cambridgeshire.
Darren Batch, who can’t commit to three-day fixtures, James Poulson, who is playing for Cambridge in the Varsity match against Oxford at Fenner’s, and Jack Beaumont, who is on a course, miss out.
- 1 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 2 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's Bolton loss
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Luton join race for £13k a week Walton
- 5 Teenage girl grabbed by man in seaside town
- 6 Investigations continue after car crashed into home
- 7 Two Magpies Bakery set to open in Woodbridge after rapid revamp of store
- 8 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 9 'Dishonest to the core' burglar jailed for four years
- 10 Motorist was three times the drink drive limit in Stowmarket
Sudbury duo Ben Parker and Ben Reece are omitted, with 16-year-old Alex Oxley, who became Suffolk’s youngest debutant since the Second World War at Northumberland, retaining his place.
The final spot rests between Josh Cantrell, who made his full county debut at Copdock last season, and Essex-based Darren Ironside, who has not featured since the one-day match versus Wiltshire.
Suffolk squad: Jaik Mickleburgh, Martyn Cull, Alex Oxley, Ben Shepperson, Kyran Young, Michael Comber, Tom Rash, Darren Ironside, Adam Mansfield (wkt & capt), Jake Wakelin, Hugo Douglas, Josh Cantrell.
Copdock Under-15s will face Australian touring side Knox Grammar School from New South Wales in a T20 match on Tuesday, starting immediately after the county match finishes round 6pm.