‘Terrific passer’ Hughes signs pro deal with Ipswich Town
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town youngster Tommy Hughes will sign his first professional contract at the start of July.
The 19-year-old wide player has agreed a one-year deal, with Blues having the option of a 12 month extension next summer.
The homegrown youngster, who has progressed through the academy to become a regular in the Under 23s, has three first-team appearances to his name, having made his debut in the 4-0 win over Gillingham in the EFL Trophy in October.
Speaking following his debut, manager Paul Lambert said: “I put him in because he trained with us and he trained well, and I thought let’s go and see the kid play a bit of football,” Lambert said.
“He’s a terrific passer of the ball but don’t put any nonsense pressure on the kid, he’s only a kid, and he’s only been in briefly.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s a mile from it, but he’s somebody I thought could make a little impact on the first team in that particular game.”
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 4 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 5 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk
Ipswich Town contract situation
Rowe, Roberts, Keane
Holy, Donacien, Chambers, Huws, Judge, Wilson, Sears, Jackson, Nolan, Bishop, Nsiala, Nydam, El Mizouni, Wright, Skuse, Dozzell, Edwards, McGavin, Drinan, Przybek, Folami, Morris, Cotter, Clements, Gibbs, Andoh, Z.Brown, K.Brown, Hughes
Downes, Woolfenden, Norwood, Lankester, Kenlock, Ndaba, Crowe, Smith, Simpson, Crane.