Pupils do battle in county basketball finals
- Credit: Archant
Inspire Suffolk recently played host to a full day of boys and girls county basketball finals at under 12, under 14 and under 16 level.
The morning saw Westley Middle and Copleston compete for both the under 12 titles.
The girls’ game was close until the half but it was Westley’s greater depth that prevailed during the second, as eight different players got on the scoresheet. The game ended 48-30 to Westley.
The boys game was to see a reversal of fortune - again it was close to the half with both sides looking to play some nice fast break basketball. Copleston took the game and the title 45-26.
Next were the under 14 girls with Northgate and Thomas Gainsborough School (TGS) matching up.
You may also want to watch:
TGS made a dominant start and it looked like the game was going to be very one-sided, but thanks to the Boddy sisters, Northgate fought back to only trail by eight at the half. Despite a late surge from Northgate, TGS finished up 57-47 winners. Top scorers for Northgate were Alicia Boddy with 21 and Emily Boddy with 24. Top scorer for TGS with 36 was Cameron Taylor-Willis.
Probably the closest game of the day was between Farlingaye and County Upper in the Under 14 boys final, which was a three point game with one minute to go. Farlingaye held on to win the title 43-37.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 3 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 4 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 5 Film crews begin shooting Amazon show in Suffolk village
- 6 Dog-friendly pub set to reopen in east Suffolk after major revamp
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 9 GP warns of 'Latitude effect' as cases rise among young people
- 10 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
The Under 16 girls game was between TGS and Kesgrave and was rather one-sided with TGS winning 52-18.
Last game of the day was between Holbrook and County Upper playing off for the Under 16 boys title. The game was played in great spirit with County easing to a 67-37 victory.
Kathryn James from Suffolk Schools Basketball said ‘As well as all the participating schools I would like to thank all the officials as well as a number of superb leaders from County, Northgate and Copleston who enabled the day to run so smoothly. Good luck to 5 of these schools who now go on to represent Suffolk Schools in the Regional Round.”