Reece Wabara to return to Manchester City
PUBLISHED: 11:06 30 December 2011 | UPDATED: 12:03 30 December 2011
PAUL Jewell has confirmed he will not be looking to extend Reece Wabara’s loan deal at Portman Road.
The promising Manchester City right-back has failed to break into Jewell’s starting line-up and the Town boss believes it has been a big learning curve for the 20-year-old.
Wabara has been on the bench five times, starting just once against Doncaster Rovers, and it will be interesting to see if he figures against Reading tomorrow.
Jewell admitted: “Saturday is his last game and then he’ll be going back to City. He’s been a bit unfortunate really, it’s difficult when a young lad comes into a struggling team. He came on against Millwall and started against Doncaster and din’t play as well as he’d like to.
“He’s actually done quite well during the last couple of weeks of training. He’ll have his own views on it, but it’s probably been an eye-opener on what first team football is like.”
Jewell believes Wabara’s short time in Suffolk will benefit him in the long run, but a second loan spell looks unlikely for both player and club.
The manager said: “I always think it does these youngsters at the top clubs the world of good to come out and see what’s it’s like.
“Sometimes players in academies can get cocooned. All of a sudden they are 22, 23 and they find they’ve been with a club since they were 14 and have only got something like six appearances to their name.
“I think it will benefit him in the long-run to have seen how difficult it is at a Championship club.”
But there was seemingly better news for the young defender after he tweeted yesterday that he had been named in the provisional squad for Team GB in next summer’s Olympics.
And speaking on Twitter this morning, he said: “Last day and game for ipswich. Hopefully get 3 points and leave on a high.”