Reid signs for Scunthorpe
PAUL Reid has completed his move to Championship side Scunthorpe to leave Colchester United’s defence severely depleted.
The 28-year-old joins the relegation-battling Iron for an undisclosed fee – believed to be a six-figure sum – on a two-and-a-half-year deal.
The centre-back, who was made vice-captain by new manager John Ward this season, was due to be out of contract this summer.
His departure follows on from Marc Tierney’s �150,000 transfer to Norwich this week, the left-back also nearing the end of his contract.
It leaves Colchester’s back four short on numbers for tonight’s League One visit of Bournemouth as both Brian Wilson and Magnus Okuonghae are still out with ankle injuries.
You may also want to watch:
Carlisle-born Reid arrived at Colchester on a free transfer from Barnsley in 2008 having previously played at his home town club as well as Scottish giants Rangers and Northampton.
A key player whenever he has been fit, Reid has suffered with numerous injuries during his two-and-a-half seasons at the U’s.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 4 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 8 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 9 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 10 AFC Wimbledon 3-0 Ipswich Town: Woeful Blues well-beaten at Plough Lane in 'season-defining' game
A serious knee injury limited him to just 14 appearances last season, while a back problem has been at the heart of a series of problems this campaign.
He leaves the Essex club having made 65 appearances and having scored just once. U’s chairman and owner Robbie Cowling has already vowed to make any transfer income available to manager John Ward to sign replacements.
– For full match preview of tonight’s League One match between Colchester United and Bournemouth, see today’s EADT.