REPORT & GALLERY: Jabo Ibehre seals vital win for Colchester United
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
Colchester United 1 Shrewsbury Town 0 Jabo Ibehre eased Colchester United’s relegation worries with a cracking winner as struggling Shrewsbury were dispatched at the Weston Homes Community Stadium tonight.
Ibehre struck in the 57th minute with only the U’s fifth goal in the last 10 matches, to pocket a precious three points.
Alex Gilbey slid a pass through to Ibehre, on the edge of the penalty area, and the U’s striker twisted and turned before firing a low shot into the far corner of the net.
It was no more than the Essex hosts deserved, for a dominant display.
Both Brian Wilson and Dominic Vose struck the woodwork in the first half, Wilson’s free-kick thudding back off the underside of the bar, and Vose’s long range shot clipping the top of the bar.
You may also want to watch:
But the U’s luck finally turned in the second period, and Ibehre’s smart finish secured only a second win in 10 games for Joe Dunne’s men.
This victory has opened up a gap of five points between the U’s and the relegation zone.
- 1 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 2 'We're a soft touch' - Cook on defeat to West Ham U21s
- 3 Seven observations following Ipswich Town's 2-1 loss to West Ham U21s
- 4 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 5 'Fly high gorgeous girl' - Alliyah, 17, dies after collision
- 6 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 7 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 8 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 9 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 loss to West Ham's Under 21s
- 10 'He will be missed by so many' - Tribute to Harry, 21, after fatal stabbing
COLCHESTER: Walker, Wilson, Okuonghae, Eastman, Dickson, Bean (sub Wright, 81), Gilbey, Vose (sub Eastmond, 75), Watt, Massey, Ibehre (sub Bonne, 86). Unused subs: Cousins, Morrison, Sesay, Szmodics.
SHREWSBURY: Anyon, Grandison (sub Iorfa, 79), Goldson, Mkandawire, Jacobson (sub Taylor, 65), Mills, Woods, Hall, Parry, Foley, Eaves (sub Atajic, 63). Unused subs: Weale, McAllister, Winfield.
Referee: Gary Sutton (Lincs)