Returning O’Toole hammers West Ham with brace
Colchester United XI 2 West Ham XI 1
JOHN-Joe O’Toole marked his comeback from injury with a quickfire brace as Colchester United secured a narrow win over West Ham in a friendly this afternoon.
O’Toole had been troubled by a groin injury in recent weeks, and had not started a first team game since the 1-1 home draw against Sheffield United on August 25.
But the powerful midfielder netted twice, on 27 and 31 minutes, to give the U’s a 2-0 lead at half-time against a youthful West Ham side.
Ex-Watford man O’Toole drilled home the first from just inside the penalty area, and completed his double just four minutes later with a crisp volley, after Jordan Sanderson’s free-kick had ricocheted into his path.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors pulled a goal back, just before the hour mark, through Freddie Piquionne, but the U’s held on for the win.
COLCHESTER (starting XI): Pentney, Olufemi, White, Heath, Hamilton, Sanderson, James-Lewis, Gilbey, O’Toole, Wright, Nwachuku.
- 1 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 2 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 3 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 4 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 5 A12 closed by police after serious collision
- 7 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 8 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 9 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig