Ridgeons League side sack manager
GEOFF Cleal has been sacked by Long Melford after a run of just one win in ten matches.
The first team manager had overseen an excellent opening to the season for the Ridgeons League Division side - the village side’s best start for many years.
But poor results and performances since September has seen the club’s board of directors make a change in management with immediate effect.
A club spokesman said: “The board would like to place on record their thanks to Geoff for his dedication to the club over the past three seasons as head coach and then first team manager.”
Cleal’s assistant manager, Jason Maher, and reserve side boss Adrian Perry have been appointed caretaker managers.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Melford have signed 19-year-old full back Shane Barnes from neighbours Cornard United.
The former Suffolk Under-18 defender, who has also played first team football for AFC Sudbury, said: “I’m joining the club to enjoy the football and to try and contribute to moving Melford on as a football club.”
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 3 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 4 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 5 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 6 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 7 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 8 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 9 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 10 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season