Rivals Wycombe dump U’s out of JPT

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy second round (southern section) Colchester Utd 0 Wycombe Wdrs 2 COLCHESTER United were once again made to pay for not taking their chances tonight as lower league Wycombe Wanderers sent them crashing out of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy at the first hurdle.

COLCHESTER United were once again made to pay for not taking their chances tonight as lower league Wycombe Wanderers sent them crashing out of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy at the first hurdle.

In what is becoming an all too familiar story this season, Colchester outplayed their opposition, created a number of chances but were ultimately punished.

The League Two visitors – historically fierce rivals of the Essex club – created little throughout but scored twice in the last 10 minutes through Kevin Betsy and Scott Davies to settle the tie.

With both sides making the full use of the five changes permitted of them in this competition and three sides of the stadium virtually empty, this match had a distinct reserve team feel about it.

Following Colchester’s 1-1 draw at MK Dons on Saturday, Mark Cousins, Tom Williams, Paul Reid, Andy Bond and David Perkins all dropped out of the side and they were replaced by Ben Williams, Lloyd James, Matt Heath, Ian Henderson, Liam Henderson.

Ward had criticised the competition’s ruling that six regular first team players must start prior to kick-off. And he actually called the authorities to request special dispensation to make two extra changes in addition to the permitted five due to the fact that new loanee Tom Williams (calf) and Reid (leg) were enforced absentees.

Most Read

That was rejected though meaning potential starters Kayode Odejayi and Steven Gillespie had to settle for a place on the bench.

Colchester created the better chances early on as Vincent had a close range finish denied by the offside flag and Ian Henderson saw a rasping volley hit the side-netting.

The Chair Boys have struggled somewhat since their relegation back to the fourth tier of English football but they certainly proved to be no pushovers in the opening stages.

Keeper Ben Williams had to be alert to stop a Kevin Betsy chance with his feet, while Stuart Beavon arrived just too late at far post to convert Andy Sandell’s deep cross.

The openness of the game soon began to play to Colchester’s strengths though with the U’s allowed the time and space to pass the ball well.

Playing in a central midfield position, Ian Henderson looked desperate to put in a performance that might win back his first team place, and he went close on a umber of occasions.

Wycombe barely tested the recalled Ben Williams after the early chances, but the U’s were given a warning sign following a moment of complacency when forward Ben Strevens headed just over after full-back Marvin McCoy was given too much time and space to cross.

The U’s continued to press though and, on the stroke of half-time, Liam Henderson’s curling shot was deflected just wide following a great run and one-two with Mooney.

Colchester continued to create chance after chance following the restart. Ian Henderson’s shot count continued to rise as he cut in and fired just past the far post, while Lloyd James saw a side-footed effort well-saved.

With the game still goalless the visitors couldn’t be discounted though and the U’s had keeper Ben Williams to thank in the 54th minute when he produced an excellent stop from Scott Rendell after he had burst through on goal.

U’s boss Ward introduced Steven Gillespie off the bench in the 55th minute, the forward making his first appearance of the season following an ankle injury, while 17-year-old defender Tom Bender was also introduced for his second ever first team outing. Kayode Odejayi then joined them off the bench as Colchester tried to settle the tie in normal time.

Wycombe keeper Nikki Bull kept it goalless though in the 66th minute with a fine double stop, first from Gillespie and then quickly from Wordsworth on the rebound.

And the save proved crucial as it was the visitors who broke the deadlock 15 minutes from time when Kevin Betsy broke the offside trap before helping the ball over keeper Ben Williams and rolling the ball into the empty net.

The goal took the wind out of Colchester’s sails and they were dealt a hammer blow in the 82nd minute when the visitors wrapped up victory when Scott Davies rammed home on the rebound after keeper Williams had saved from Ben Strevens.

And the visitors almost rubbed extra salt into the wounds two minutes from time when Davies smashed the near post with a powerful shot.

– Match report and reaction in tomorrow’s EADT.

COLCHESTER (4-3-3): B Williams; James, White, Okuonghae, Heath; Izzet (Bender 63), I Henderson, Wordsworth; Vincent (Gillespie 55), L Henderson, Mooney (Odejayi 71).

Unused Subs: Cousins,Perkins.

WYCOMBE (4-4-2): Bull; McCoy, Sandell, Winfield, Johnson (Westwood 63); Strevens, Betsy, Montrose, Davies; Beavon (McClure 62), Rendell (Murtagh 74).

Unused Subs: Arnold, Federico.