Ronnie Winn breaks Maldon & Tiptree’s hearts in the Ryman North play-offs
- Credit: cont
Maldon & Tiptree lost 1-0 in the Ryman North Division play-off final this afternoon.
Ronnie Winn broke The Jammers’ hearts with a 78th-minute winner for Thurrock, who will now play Ryman Premier Division football next season.
Kevin Horlock’s men, who defeated Thurrock 4-0 at home earlier in the season, were left gutted, in front of a Park Drive crowd of 719, at the final whistle.
Sadly for the Jammers, it just wasn’t their day, following their unbelievable 5-4 semi-final victory over Haringey Borough at the same location just four days previously.
Curtis Haynes-Brown had to be alert to clear off the line for Maldon & Tiptree after just five minutes, with both sides showing nerve in the opening period.
The Jammers started the second half strongly, with Matt Lock almost forcing Horlock’s men in front.
But there was to be a sucker punch when Winn smashed home at the far post, with 12 minutes left, from a swift counter attack.
- 1 Matchday Recap: How Town's cup defeat to Colchester played out
- 2 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 3 Town closing in on deal for experienced defender Keogh
- 4 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 5 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 6 'Quite different to traditional gyms' Suffolk gym with a difference opens
- 7 Buy the bread everyone’s raving about at new Suffolk cafe
- 8 'Childhood dream' as opening date nears for Suffolk coastal restaurant
- 9 Farmer 'heartbroken' as land sees fourth fire in 10 days
- 10 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
Maldon were unable to find a reply as they look to go again next season.