Rotherham United 1 Ipswich Town 0 – match highlights
An experimental Ipswich Town side lost 1-0 at rock-bottom Rotherham United on Saturday.
A team featuring nine changes from the impressive 3-1 home win over Newcastle United on Easter Monday produced a predictably disjointed first half display at the New York Stadium.
Rotherham posed the greater attacking threat and only a fine penalty save from Dean Gerken, when he dived to his left to keep out Danny Ward’s spot-kick (0.26), ensured the scores were level at the break. Referee Jeremy Simpson had pointed to the spot after Josh Emmanuel’s rash challenge on Jon Taylor in the box (0.14), following Luke Chambers’ failure to deal with a long ball (0.08).
Tommy Smith and Luke Chambers produced lunging blocks (0.41) were required as the Millers continued to do most of the attacking, though Danny Rowe’s run and shot stung the palms of keeper Richard O’Donnell just before the break and Dominic Samuel smashed the angled rebound against the bar (1.02).
Tommy Smith deflected a cross just beyond his own post soon after the restart (1.14). Rotherham took the lead in the 79th minute when a long ball wasn’t dealt with and Tom Adeyemi smashed home the loose ball (1.27).
You may also want to watch:
Ipswich had looked the more dangerous side in the second half and created several chances. O’Donnell made a smart near post stop from Samuel following Emmanuel’s cross (1.44), while Brett Pitman and Rowe spurned good opportunities.
Substitute Kieffer Moore had a header cleared off the line, while Samuel came within inches of connecting with a teasing Moore cross.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 4 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 5 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 6 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 7 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 8 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
- 9 'We've got to be better - myself included' - Cook on 3-0 loss at Northampton Town
- 10 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 defeat to Northampton