Rotherham v Ipswich Town nostalgia: Shefki at the double back in 2004
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
In this week’s Ipswich Town nostalgia, we look back to August 28 2004, when Shefki Kuqi scored twice as the Blues beat Rotherham 2-0 at Millmoor.
Shefki Kuqi’s brace earned Ipswich a 2-0 win at Rotherham on August 28 2004, as the Blues made it three wins in five league games at the start of the 2004-05 season.
The hosts were comfortably the better side in the first half, but Town broke the deadlock on the 43rd minute.
Kuqi opened the scoring with a remarkable 25-yard strike that stunned the Millmoor faithful into silence, a textbook volley which was destined for the back of the net as soon as the ball left his foot.
Town doubled their lead two minutes after the restart when Kuqi doubled his tally for the afternoon.
You may also want to watch:
Darren Bent was given too much time on the edge of the Rotherham penalty area and threaded a neat ball through to the Finland international, who made no mistake from close range to beat Rotherham keeper Mike Pollit.
And the Blues played out the match with minimum fuss to come away with all three points.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 4 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 5 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 6 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 7 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 8 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 9 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
Town XI: Davis, Wilnis, de Vos, Diallo, Naylor, Magilton, Miller, Horlock, Westlake, Kuqi, Bent.