Round-up: Thurlow Nunn Premier & Division One reports

David Lorimer

David Lorimer - Credit: Gregg Brown

Thurlow Nunn Premier Division

Kirkley & Pakefield 2

Hadleigh United 1

This game came to life in a fierce second half consisting two red cards, two spot kicks, and a host of bookings.

The fuse was ignited after 55 minutes when Hadleigh defender Liam Scopes received a red card for a tackle just 10 minutes after coming off the bench.

You may also want to watch:

Hadleigh went ahead on the hour mark when David Lorimer converted the rebound after Luis Tibbles had pulled off a spot-kick save from Danny Thrower.

Kirkley equalised after 71 minutes when Miguel Lopez scored a penalty after Kyle Baker had been fouled by Liam Jennings.

Most Read

The remainder of play was keenly-contested, with a stoppage-time winner from Kirkley as a deep cross from the left by Matt Brown was converted by Ross King.

The game ended in more controversy as Hadleigh skipper Kris Rose received red in the final seconds for trying to win the ball as Kirkley played out the game near the corner flag.

Thetford Town 3

Walsham le Willows 2

A bumper Friday night crowd saw Thetford haul themselves off the foot of the table.

The Suffolk side went in front on 18 minutes when keeper Goodwin made a hash of a corner with Charlie Webb pouncing.

Thetford equalised in the 33rd minute as a long punt was allowed to bounce into the’ penalty area and Standley guided the ball home. However, straight from the restart Walsham went back in front when Webb tapped home after good work from Wood.

The scores were soon level again after great skill from Tavares ended with him drilling home a venomous shot.

Foster was then sent off for Walsham, and Thetford took advantage as Ian Fancett scored a 68th-minute winner.

Brantham Athletic 3 Gorleston 0

Brantham returned to winning ways with a welcome 3-0 home win over Gorleston.

Both teams started quickly with Harry Mann seeing a good shot go just wide, and Gorleston’s Peter Lambert seeing a hard shot which keeper Paddi Hawkins did well to stop and hold onto.

The Imps opened their account in the third minute when a good move down the right started saw Simon Mann cut inside the box and let fly with a superb shot into the back of the net.

The same scorer went close again, but Gorleston went forward with purpose as the Brantham back four worked overtime to keep them out with some well-timed tackles.

Brantham added a second goal when Sean Gunn hit home from an awkward angle from outside the area.

Their third was scored when a super through ball was latched onto by Sean Bartlett, who turned his man and finished brilliantly.

Whitton United 1 Saffron Walden Town 3

Whitton were a goal up after just two minutes as Jamie Cole scored from Chris Williams’ pass.

Whitton kept up the pressure and another shot from Sam Quinton forced a save from the Saffron keeper.

After Saffron Walden cleared this corner, they broke to produce a corner of their own, which Spike Bell scored from.

Whitton rallied and Tom Trevivian saw his long-range shot well-saved.

In the second half, with Saffron Walden on the attack, the visitors took the lead with Max Drayne beating the advancing Shaun Chaplin.

Whitton fought back and Sam Mead fed Franco Mallardo shot wide, but the Bloods sealed their win when Paul Abbott’s clearance found Craig Calver who shot through Chaplin to give them a two-goal cushion to hold onto as Whitton dropped to fourth bottom.

First Division round-up

In the league, Leiston Reserves lost 4-1 at Ely. In the Knockout Cup, Stowmarket Town, 7-0 losers at Leiston in midweek, defeated King’s Lynn Reserves 1-0, while Team Bury lost 2-1 at March Town. Halstead and Great Yarmouth also progressed.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter