Rovers boss desparate to sign Salgado
BLACKBURN Rovers boss Sam Allardyce has told chairman John Williams to sign Spanish legend Michel Salgado - as he wins a battle for more cash. (Daily Mirror)Allardyce is laying down the law over the capture of the former Real Madrid skipper who came for talks and went without agreeing a contract because of an internal squabble over finance at Ewood Park.
BLACKBURN Rovers boss Sam Allardyce has told chairman John Williams to sign Spanish legend Michel Salgado - as he wins a battle for more cash. (Daily Mirror)
Allardyce is laying down the law over the capture of the former Real Madrid skipper who came for talks and went without agreeing a contract because of an internal squabble over finance at Ewood Park.
And Rovers chief Allardyce let his money men know his heart is set on Salgado as he said: “Michel can be a Fernando Hierro type of player for us and bring up the standards in the dressing room.
“I met him and it didn't take him long to say 'yes,' it was two hours into a three-hour meeting, it was music to my ears. I could see his enthusiasm.
“One of my strengths is my judgement of character and I know he is just what we need. I want Michel not just as a player but as a person.
“He has got the potential of playing in one or two positions. I took Hierro as a centre half but he was too slow, but what a midfield player he turned out to be.
- 1 'Lads have different levels of where they are' - Cook on Norwood and Barry
- 2 East Suffolk Council to form new company to deliver services after Norse contract ends
- 3 Paul Cook on social media 'drama queens' and a trip to Gateshead
- 4 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 5 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 6 'I absolutely hate it' - Pigott on 'massively frustrating' start to life at Town
- 7 'The answer to your question is in my reply' - Cook on whether he'll go with Bonne or Pigott
- 8 Child rapist jailed for offences dating back to 2005
- 9 'It's a genuine personnel issue' - Cook on goal errors
- 10 Time Team using latest technology to investigate Sutton Hoo
“Michel has had 24 days of training at Real Madrid and played a game and a half for them. Now it's about getting him here. I don't care what position we are talking about - just sign him.”
Allardyce has had to push his board to get this deal through and he hopes it is complete over the weekend. He is also adamant that Stephen Warnock will not be sold to Aston Villa to pay for it.
He said: “I don't know what their interest is all about - there is no bid that we would describe as acceptable. Sacrifice him? Not really.”
Allardyce hopes that landing Salgado would be his last business of the summer. He has brought in a handful of younger and less experienced players and thinks he would make up for that all by himself.